Quick Links

Main Navigation

Top

Student News

Sign up for the News Update.

Sub Navigation

Top

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

SHS Football wins 3A State Championship!!

Story image 1_0
5a09e1c346938
Story image 1_1
5a09e1c346938

The Sabetha High School football team capped their championship run on Saturday in Hutchinson by knocking off Marysville in the state championship game by a score of 7-6. After a scoreless first quarter in which Joe Gruber intercepted a Bulldog pass attempt, Marysville was able block a punt which lead to the first score of the game on a pass from Jack Blumer to Gabe Pieschl. The Bluejays were able to stuff the two-point conversion attempt on a play that ended up being the difference in the game and the Bulldogs took just a 6-0 lead into halftime. On the first drive after halftime, the Bluejays were able to find the endzone on an eight-yard Wyatt Beyer run. Braeden Cox tacked on the extra point to give Sabetha a 7-6 lead in the third quarter. It remained that way all the way to the end as Marysville drove the ball all the way down to the Bluejay four yard line with :36 left on the clock, when Gabe Garber stepped in front of a Marysville pass attempt and intercepted the ball to seal the victory and the first football state championship for the Bluejays since 1997. 

The Bluejays finished 13-1 on the season. 

Sadly, the celebration was somewhat short-lived as word of a tragic accident reached the Bluejay family. All of our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the Ukele and Baumgartner families as we grieve together as a community and celebrate the lives of Carmen, Marlee, and Steve.

Topeka Capital-Journal article on game

Topeka Capital-Journal article on Faith

MSC Sports article on game

3A State Football Bracket

SHS Football Website

Link to Sabetha Channel (for on-demand viewing of previous games and live streaming audio of State Championship game)

Link to Open Spaces Sports (for live video streaming of State Championship game)

Back To Top